The overall mandate of the KVK is to develop and disseminate location specific technological modules at district level through Technology Assessment, Refinement and Demonstration and to act as Knowledge and Resource Centre for agriculture and allied activities.
The specific activities envisaged to carry out this mandate are:
• conduct on-farm testing to identify the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems
• organize frontline demonstrations to establish production potential of various crops and enterprises on the farmers’ fields
• organize need based training of farmers to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies related to technology assessment, refinement and demonstration, and training of extension personnel to orient them in the frontier areas of technology development
• create awareness about improved technologies to larger masses through appropriate extension programmes
• production and supply of good quality seeds and planting materials, livestock, poultry and fisheries breeds and products and various bio-products to the farming community, and
• work as resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technology for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district.
Keeping in view of these mandates, the Krishi Vigyan Kendra strives to make viable and feasible location specific technology in farming and allied enterprises accessible to the farming community-rural youth, women and men self help groups and extension officials. For turning this into reality, OFTs, FLDs and trainings on various subjects like crop production, soil health management, horticulture, plant protection, food processing, animal husbandry, fisheries, and vocational topics are undertaken by the Krishi Vigyan Kendra with farmer participatory efforts to convince the farming community about the benefits of proven technologies in the field situations.